Is Jesus an answer or the answer?

Matthew​ ​16:​ ​13 Now​ ​when​ ​Jesus​ ​came​ ​into​ ​the​ ​district​ ​of​ ​Caesarea​ ​Philippi,​ ​He​ ​was​ ​asking​ ​His​ ​disciples,​ ​“Who
do​ ​people​ ​say​ ​that​ ​the​ ​Son​ ​of​ ​Man​ ​is?”

Wow those people!!!! What is our world coming to? Ever expressed the feelings, thought the thoughts,​ ​or​ ​listened​ ​as​ ​others​ ​tell​ ​tales​ ​about​ ​“those”​ ​people?  The “sadness” of our daily news “plays out” the “hopelessness” of humanity. It highlights the follies of others and infuses frustration over self centered attitudes spewing, “My rights”, “My way”, “My life”, “My entitlement” as some take from others without regard. An audio video presentation of other’s actions brought about by the desires of their hearts (Psalm 51 10-13). What is my world coming to is an important question, but more convicting is, do I really care enough?


“The​ ​only​ ​thing​ ​necessary​ ​for​ ​the​ ​triumph​ ​of​ ​evil​ ​is​ ​for​ ​good​ ​men​ ​to​ ​do​ ​nothing”,​ ​Edmund​ ​Burke

Caesarea Philippi, a blend of cultures, nationalities, and occupations, a melting pot of people and their gods, I can only imagine what a “pagan” society, worshipping a “pagan” god really looked like. I envision it to be beyond what we see in our world today, more destructive, more lawless, more deceitful, and most likely a greater “de-valuator” of human life. It is this “Godless” place, Jesus used as a backdrop for the biggest question you and I will ever answer, “But who do you say​ ​I​ ​am?”

The “big” question, is Jesus one of many or one of a kind? Is He AN answer or THE answer? Is Jesus A god or THE God? To me, the answer to this one question provides the foundation for what God can do within my world. A god has limited power, limited control, and partial sovereignty, able to do some but not all, while THE God is absolute, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. By witness of our own lives and through the testimony of our society, we know where​ ​the​ ​worship​ ​of​ ​A​ ​god​ ​leads.

Recently, we had a national election. I watched as “leaders” stepped forward with their agendas, their message of a national revival, their “cure” to our “ills”, I remember thinking wow is this it? Of all the great people able to lead, this is what I have to select from? Then someone stated, this process is a reflection of us, a part of each of the governed. That “reflective” statement made me realize, the “losslessness” of the many. I remember thinking, on our current course what does our society​ ​look​ ​like​ ​five​ ​years,​ ​tens​ ​years​ ​or​ ​fifty​ ​years​ ​from​ ​now?

The “problem” with our world is not they, but we. The “World” is doing exactly what is natural. They are living lives, which make sense to them. They engage their godly value system, which keeps them a drift within a sea of uncertainty, frustration, and hopelessness. Many act out in degrees of anger and discontentment. They “ponder” during sleepless nights about the “what ifs”, “what coulds”, and/or “what shoulds”. Many are literally in “pain” as they daily struggle to find meaning within their life. Unknowingly, they are an enemy of God (James 4:4), and their lives are being​ ​stolen​ ​from​ ​them.

Yet the reality is as a Christian, I have the answer to their “problem”. I have a “cure” for their illness (2 Corinthians 5:18 &19). I have a life-changing message, one that will make monumental impacts. However, most of the time I am just to fill in the blank, to “give”. I have grown complacent within my comforts. Through my actions and words, I have condoned the state of the world around​ ​me.​ ​Through​ ​my​ ​faithlessness,​ ​I​ ​allowed​ ​God’s​ ​enemy​ ​to​ ​advance.
David your message hit me loud and clear, it is time for me to feel some discomfort as I rise up and​ ​get​ ​involved.​ ​I​ ​look​ ​forward​ ​to​ ​the​ ​rest​ ​of​ ​series​ ​and​ ​the​ ​impact​ ​it​ ​will​ ​have​ ​on​ ​my​ ​life.

Paul​ ​writes​ ​in​ ​Romans​ ​10:14​ ​&​ ​15,
“How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is​ ​written,​ ​“How​ ​beautiful​ ​are​ ​the​ ​feet​ ​of​ ​those​ ​who​ ​bring​ ​good​ ​news​ ​of​ ​good​ ​things!”

I​ ​wonder​ ​how​ ​my​ ​“feet”​ ​look​ ​to​ ​God​ ​today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discipleship, a Believer's OJT

Throw Some Salt on Me Brother

Where do we go from here?