What else do I need, what greater gift could I share?


Reconcile: A) To restore to friendship, B) Settle, resolve, C) To make consistent or congruous, D) To check against another for accuracy

Early on in our marriage, I learned a valuable lesson about reconciliation. As a single young man, I had a habit of withdrawing money from the bank’s ATM without logging the withdrawal into the checkbook ledger. When Debbie and I married, we combined our financial resources into one account, and I quickly discovered how this “bad habit” impacted our financial condition. What we thought we had did not align to the reality of what we had. Our checkbook ledger did not reconcile with our bank balance.

As a believer, I am reconciled to God through Jesus the Christ (RM5:10, 2Cor5:18, 2Cor5:20,). The Bible tells me:

Colossian 1:21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, 22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach.

The reality of my life, is that I am at peace with God (Romans 5:1), and that my life is forever changed (2Cor5:17). I have the right and privilege to “walk by the Spirit” rather than the flesh (Gal5:16), a walk which produces eternal external characteristics which the Bible calls  “fruits” and defines as, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, & self-control’.

As I enjoy another Christmas season, I am reminded of the reality of the gift which God gives me: The ability to know and share love, the ability to know and share joy, the ability to know and share patience, the ability to know and share kindness, the ability to know and share goodness, the ability to know and share faithfulness, the ability to know and share gentleness, the ability to know and share self control. What else do I need, what greater gift could I share?

My Christmas pursuit is to be all that I can be through Christ Jesus who gives to me that ability (Philippians 4:13). My reality, in Christ, I am forever changed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discipleship, a Believer's OJT

Throw Some Salt on Me Brother

Where do we go from here?