Make the Most of It

Ephesians 5:15-16
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.

If there is one thing that I have learned during this season of staying home, it is that lack of time was never the problem.  There are things around the house that I have been wanting to get done, but I told myself I did not have the time right now.  I have been wanting to spend extra time in prayer and Bible study, but again, I told myself that I was too busy.  Now that I have the time, and I am not too busy, it is pretty convicting that the extra time is still filled up with things that are not on my list.  I have found that lack of time was not a reason, only an excuse.

How about you?  Have these days been productive for you?  Have you been completing items on your list of goals?

Despite this new realization about my priorities, I see a glimmer of opportunity in this time of quarantine, home life, and general slowness.  This can be a time to re-prioritize and seek to build some godly habits before the rush of life begins again.

During Jesus' life on earth, He always felt the drive to accomplish all He could before His time on earth was through.  He said in John 9:4-5, "We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work.  While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world."

As Paul said in Ephesians, we should make the most of our time.  So instead of this season being one of wasted time and squandered opportunity, here are ways you can make this season one of positive growth and accomplishment:

1. Decide to build the habit of prayer.

Open schedules give us a rare opportunity to easily choose to set aside time each day for prayer.  Not only will you find comfort, peace, and fellowship in this discipline, but you will also find that prayer is a powerful way to serve your church family.  You may not be distracted by the clock, or by events, or by visitors, so use the time wisely!  Imagine if you began to cultivate this crucial habit.  When life picks up again, you will be better positioned to continue as a man and woman of prayer.  Isn't that something you long to be?

2. Spend time in the Word.

This is another discipline that has unending benefits.  You already know what the news and tv has to say, so get in the Word and spend time hearing from the Lord.  Anything He has to tell you is immensely better than whatever else is vying for your attention.  Discipline yourself to read a few chapters each day.  If you don't know where to start, try this.  Read a chapter from Psalms to put a song in your heart; read a chapter from Proverbs to gain wisdom; read a chapter from the Gospels to learn from Jesus; and read a chapter from Acts to put a fire in your soul.  Four chapters a day, and it will only take a few minutes.  But imagine where you will be in the future if this becomes an enduring daily habit in your life!

3. Fasting.

Fasting is the practice of setting aside an earthly activity in order to focus on a spiritual activity.  The Jews would often fast over lunch in order to spend time in prayer.  The early church had certain days of the week where the whole church would skip a midday meal in order to pray.  In my life, fasting has helped me refocus, renew a heart of worship, and see genuine miracles take place through prayer.  However, it can be hard to do with people eating around you, inviting you to eat with them, and driving past restaurants all day.  Perhaps this time at home could be your opportunity to skip breakfast or lunch, and pray instead.  Jesus said that when we fast, we should not let everyone know.  Well, you have an opportunity to do just that!

4. Solitude.

Finally, the spiritual discipline of solitude is one that is increasingly difficult to practice today.  However, Jesus often stepped away from the crowds to be alone with God.  Before He chose the twelve apostles, He went away to pray in solitude throughout the night.  Many of you are alone right now.  That can be hard.  But you also have the choice to see this time as an opportunity to enjoy being in God's presence.  Turn the television off, put the phone down, and pour your heart out to God.  Open His word and read it.  Then spend some time just thinking about Him and what you read. Enjoy the time!  Let it refresh you, and grow you, and comfort you, and prepare you for what God has in store for you when this storm passes!

Comments

  1. I've been thinking about this all week! I have so much time but yet I find that I have to be intentional with reading my Bible or I will put it aside. Thank you for the post David!
    - Rebekah D.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discipleship, a Believer's OJT

Where do we go from here?

Throw Some Salt on Me Brother